Valerian Root / Valeriana officinalis Supplement
Valerian root is a traditional remedy for insomnia and stress. For some people, the effects are noticeable right away, while for other people the effects of valerian root take between 3-4 weeks to show up. For this reason, it’s recommended to take valerian root regularly for at least a period of 3-4 weeks before changing the dosage. Valerian root can help with the following:
- Heals emotional and physical stress
- Helps normalize serotonin levels
- Heals neurons in the hippocampus
- Anti-anxiety herb (in one study, participants rated it to be at least as effective as Diazepam)
- Reduces digestive cramping
- Minimizes spasms in the arms and legs
- Increases GABA levels
Valerian root can be used safely by recovering addicts to help them fall asleep, stay asleep, and feel more rested when they wake up. It is also particularly valuable for people who are trying to stop taking anti-anxiety medications, and can ease some of the symptoms of withdrawal.
Take 1 or 2 capsules of this valerian root supplement at bedtime.
If you would prefer to take valerian root in a tincture/liquid form, you may try this valerian root tincture from Hawaii Pharm.