Homeopathic Remedy: Apis mellificaApis mellifica is a homeopathic remedy made from the whole bee including the stinger and bee products. As a homeopathic remedy that works through the principle of “like versus like”, it can be helpful to think about symptoms that a bee sting might cause to remember some of the symptoms that can be treated using Apis mellifica. But in addition to symptoms of being stung by a bee, we have to remember that bee stings can also cause an anaphylactic reaction in some individuals. Anaphylaxis is a whole-body experience that involves inflammation and opening of blood vessels. Symptom that resemble anaphylaxis can also be treated using Apis mellifica.
Common Name: Honeybee
Also known as: “Apis”
Apis mellifica is made from the whole bee (including the stinger), propolis, beeswax, royal jelly, and pollen.
WARNING: During pregnancy, avoid the Apis mellifica remedy below 30c potency.
NOTE: Do not use Apis mellifica to treat anaphylaxis due to bee sting.
This homeopathic remedy is especially valuable in the treatment of the following:
- Insect Bites and Stings
- Swelling of the skin that involves burning and itching.
- Joint Swelling and Inflammation / Arthritis
- Cystitis / Bladder Irritation (burning and stinging pain in the bladder or urethra)
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
- Prostate Inflammation
- Edema (fluid retention in the body tissues)
- Allergies involving the eyes, mouth, or throat, especially allergies that involve watery inflammation of the eyelids that spreads to the throat to obstruct breathing.
- Fever treatment for children, especially in situations involving a lack of thirst, sore throat, headache, and dry, sensitive skin.
- Headaches involving hot, stabbing pains in the head.
- Conditions that involve the lining of joints, thoracic cavity or abdominal cavity such as pleurisy or peritonitis.
- Glossitis (Tongue Inflammation - dry tongue that is fiery, red, and inflamed with bitter taste in the mouth and inability to swallow easily)
- Geographic Tongue (Cracks, vesicles, or ulcers on the tongue)
- Keratitis (Corneal inflammation)
- Iritis (Iris Inflammation)
- Bags under the eyes
- Facial swelling / puffy face
- Sore throat
- Prickly Heat
- Fibrocystic Breast Disease
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Ovaritis / Inflammation of the Ovaries
- Runny nose.
- Throat swelling that worsens with heat.
- Face is puffy with swollen eyelids and swelling under the eyes.
- Skin is hypersensitive to the touch.
- Skin may swell as though stung by bees.
- Burning, itching sensation of the skin.
- Symptoms worsen at night.
- Symptoms worsen when the child is covered by a blanket.
- Allergy symptoms are relieved by cold compresses or in cool surroundings.
- Symptoms worsen in a warm room.
- Symptoms worsen in cold and open air
- Child is clumsy and may drop things.
- Child seems apathetic or indifferent.
- Child cries easily.
- Allergy symptoms are relieved while bathing.
- Tight blister-like swellings that are sensitive to pressure or touch.
- Symptoms start on the right side and move to the left side.
Homeopathic Apis mellifica Dosing:Administer Apis mellifica as a tincture of 30c potency. Administer the 30c tincture up to 3 times per day. Or administer 3-5 pellets of 30c up to 3 times per day.
Relationship with Other Homeopathic Remedies:Typically, it’s best to administer Apis mellifica by itself, but this homeopathic remedy is complemented by Natrum Mur, which synergizes with Apis and completes its action.
Avoid taking Rhus Tox with Apis as this homeopathic remedy works against Apis mellifica.
The antidote to Apis is Carbolic Acid, Cantharis, Lachesis, or Ledum Pal. These remedies neutralize the effects of Apis mellifica.