DISCLAIMER: CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR BEFORE DECIDING ON A TREATMENT PLAN FOR ANY DISEASE OR INJURY.
How to Use DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide) with Lugol’s Iodine Solution
DMSO and Lugol’s iodine can be combined to improve the absorption and efficacy of Lugol’s iodine solution in different situations. Below I’ve described some treatment protocols that use these two substances together to treat specific health issues.
A mouthwash that combines DMSO with Lugol’s iodine may be effective for the treatment of:
- Tooth and gum infections
- Thrush and other oral fungal infections
- Dental pain (DMSO is an excellent painkiller)
- Receding gums
- And more…
To use DMSO and Lugol’s iodine in a mouthwash, follow the instructions below:
- Combine 4 drops of 5% Lugol’s iodine solution with 15 drops of 99.99% DMSO in a GLASS container. Add a small amount of water (enough to be able to swish the mixture in your mouth). Swirl around to combine everything.
- Swish the mouthwash around 2 times per day for 2 minutes each time. Consider doing this in the morning and evening after brushing your teeth (preferably with only baking soda and coconut oil, since a lot of toothpastes may contain chemicals that you don’t want the DMSO to carry into your body further).
- Do this daily until your symptoms are relieved and/or you’ve recovered fully. Repeat as needed whenever you experience dental issues.
Note that because the mouth is often an integral part of all illness in the body, this mouthwash may be beneficial if you’re experiencing other health problems too, even if they don’t affect your mouth directly. Taking good care of your mouth and teeth can improve overall health, detoxification, and healing throughout the rest of the body, too.
Though this remedy has specifically been used to prevent COVID-19, it would also be effective for the prevention of other respiratory infections, including other coronavirus infections (such as SARS or MERS), the common cold, and others. This remedy was first given to us by Dr. Metharam Haresh, who has used it on himself and his patients with great success during the COVID-19 pandemic. The instructions are as follows:
- Put 100ml of reverse osmosis purified water in a glass container.
- Add 5 drops of 5% Lugol’s iodine solution to the water. Then add 5 drops of 99.99% DMSO solution. Swirl around to combine (DO NOT use a metal object to stir).
- Drink the mixture above twice daily after taking meals. Ideally, take it after breakfast and lunch since Lugol’s iodine can sometimes cause problems with getting to sleep if it’s taken after 2pm. Drink the solution this way for 5 days.
- After drinking the solution for 5 days, continue to make the SAME SOLUTION, but instead of drinking it twice a day, only gargle with the solution twice daily after meals.
Gargling with the iodine solution after recovery from COVID-19 will help prevent reinfection. If you haven’t gotten COVID-19, then consider only doing the gargling part of this protocol as a method of prevention. While following the protocol, also take 20mg of zinc as part of your daily supplementation protocol. Take the zinc with food or after eating (taking it on an empty stomach has been known to cause stomach upsets). If you take the zinc longer than 1 month, incorporate a 2mg copper supplement as well.
Read more about this particular preventative treatment at this link.
Lugol’s iodine solution and DMSO can also be combined and used as a nasal spray in the ratio described above (5 drops of each solution:100ml of water). Make sure that if you make a nasal spraty that the bottle you store the solution in is GLASS. Replace the solution every week or two. Use one spray of the solution twice a day, or use it before going out or being around a group of people to prevent respiratory infection.
DMSO and Lugol’s iodine can also be used together as part of a nebulization protocol. Do note, however, that you SHOULD NOT PUT DMSO IN THE NEBULIZER RESERVOIR. Because DMSO is still technically a solvent, it has been known to eventually destroy the plastic parts of nebulizer. Follow these instructions to use these two solutions in a nebulizer:
- Prepare a Lugol’s iodine solution in a glass container. Use 100ml of water to 3 drops of 5% Lugol’s solution. This solution will stay good for a day if you keep it covered (the iodine will evaporate quickly, especially if the glass is left uncovered).
- Fill the reservoir of the nebulizer with the iodine water.
- Before starting the nebulizer, place 1 drop of 70% or 99.99% DMSO directly into each nostril and breathe in deeply. (it will sting a little bit, but this sensation usually goes away quickly… it can be alarming at first, so just be aware that this is normal).
- Start nebulizing. Nebulize for 30 minutes twice a day, or until you’ve used up all of the solution you made for the day.
The nebulizer method is a good way to actively treat a COVID-19 infection or another respiratory infection. Nebulizing delivers medicines directly into your lungs and sinuses, and the DMSO helps carry the medicine further into the areas of the body where it’s needed. In this case, the iodine in the medicine.
Vaginal infections can range from simply uncomfortable to very serious, and are a fact of life for a lot of women. Most women will have a vaginal infection of some kind at least one time during their lives, and knowing how to quickly and effectively deal with these is very important for a woman’s general health. There are many ways to treat a vaginal infection, but here I”m going to talk about the use of Lugol’s iodine and DMSO as a treatment option.
Lugol’s iodine is a natural disinfectant. In fact, iodine’s use as a disinfectant is so effective that it’s used in medical settings to disinfect hands and medical tools and surfaces. Though the iodine used in medical settings is povidone iodine, Lugol’s iodine (a combination of the molecular iodine in povidone iodine and potassium iodine) is just as effective if not actually more effective for the treatment of health issues. This is especially true when it comes to treating problems having to do with the reproductive organs and thyroid, since these organs absolutely need iodine in order to function properly. This douching protocol may also be useful for:
- Kidney infections
- Bladder infections
- STDs and STIs
- Uterine, cervical, and ovarian issues
- Breast-related issues (the female reproductive organs are all intimately connected, so administering a vaginal douche like this is likely to directly affect the breasts, too)
In this particular douching protocol described below, the DMSO helps carry the iodine into the bloodstream and reduces pain. Keep in mind that DMSO can be drying, so only do this particular douching protocol once a day to avoid drying out the vaginal tissues too much.
- In a glass container, combine 10 drops of 5% Lugol’s iodine solution with 400ml of fresh, purified water (use a smaller amount of water and DMSO if needed if your douche is smaller than this). Fill your douche and set yourself up to administer the solution.
- Before administering the douche, first use a clean, glass dropper to administer 5 drops of 70% DMSO directly into your vagina, or dilute with some water if you prefer. Make sure to use this dropper ONLY to administer the DMSO vaginally (keep it in a separate place from other dropper bottles or droppers you might have, and label it appropriately).
- Administer the douche. Try to hold the iodine solution in for as long as you can (5 minutes minimum is a good standard before releasing).
- Repeat once a day until you recover from the infection.
If you start to have more itching in the vaginal area or some kind of burning sensation, take a day off from the vaginally-administered DMSO. YOu can continue to use the Lugol’s iodine, though, if you choose. DMSO can be drying, which can cause itching or burning sensations in some cases. If you’re particularly prone to vaginal dryness, consider only administering the DMSO every other day, or administer fewer drops each time you administer the douche.
Do not put the DMSO directly in the douche. It can eat through the plastic and may leach the plastic out into the solution that you’re administering vaginally, which can mean that the DMSO will carry chemicals from the plastic into your bloodstream. This is why it’s important to administer the DMSO before the douche, separately from the douching solution itself.
DMSO and Lugol’s Iodine for Ear Infections
Ear infections can be tough to treat. This remedy that uses DMSO and Lugol’s iodine can quickly and effectively treat all kinds of ear infections, including stubborn fungal infections and drug-resistant ear infections. Follow the instructions below to administer this protocol:
- Combine 1-2 drops of 5% Lugol’s iodine solution with 10 drops of 99.99% DMSO solution in a GLASS container.
- Add 1.5 ounces of water (this will equal approximately 1 shot glass’s amount of solution) and swirl to combine.
- Apply the solution using clean hands to clean skin on the ear flap, around the ear on the neck, and on the interior of the ear canal (use your finger to apply the solution, DO NOT drop the solution into the ear for this protocol).
Make sure that you’ve cleaned your hands and the areas where you’ll be applying the solution using only natural soaps (like Dr. Bronner’s) and shampoos, and that you haven’t applied any lotions, perfumes, or other chemical-based soaps or products to these areas.
- Complete this protocol daily until the ear infection goes away.
DMSO and Lugol’s Iodine for Fungal Infections
DMSO can be used topically to treat a range of fungal infections that appear on the skin. Follow the instructions above for the treatment of ear infections to create a topical solution, and then apply to the affected area(s) and surrounding area(s) of the skin daily until the fungus goes away. Combine with other anti-fungal protocols for enhanced efficacy.