Always consult a doctor before undergoing treatment of any kind. The author of this article is not a doctor so if you decide to undertake the treatment described in this article, do so at your own risk.
How to Change Your Diet to Overcome Addiction
If you’re serious about overcoming an addiction, then there are some dietary changes you can make to increase the odds of your success and to make your mood better during the withdrawal process.
The dietary suggestions we talk about below pertain to any type of addiction from meth addiction and opiate addiction to smartphone addiction or addiction to video games or even porn. The neurological basis of addiction is the same no matter what the object of addiction and though you will not have to go through detox if you’re suffering from social media addiction, you will still experience a period of withdrawals that resembles the symptoms experienced by opiate or meth addicts. By following the anti-addiction diet guidelines below, you can help your brain recover more quickly and get control over your life with less mental and emotional pain and physical discomfort while reducing the chances of having a relapse.
Below are key changes you can make to your diet to experience profoundly positive changes within a short period of time:
- Avoid fast food and junk foods
- Fast food includes food joints like McDonalds, Subway, Domino’s Pizza, Starbucks, Wendy’s, etc. contain ingredients that are addictive and that hijack the dopaminergic system of the brain.
- Junk foods including pre-packaged snack foods like Oreos, potato chips, deep fried foods such as fried chicken and onion rings, chocolate bars, hot dogs, etc. also contain these ingredients. Any food that hijacks the dopaminergic system will predispose you to addiction in a general way.
- When you must eat dinner out, choose salads with oil and vinegar or other items that contain organic whole foods and NO SUGAR or CORN SYRUP.
- Foods that contain refined sugars and corn syrup or that have a high glycemic index can cause you to develop a dopamine deficiency which could result in relapse. Refined sugars cause a huge release of dopamine that can lead to dopamine deficiency in the brain. When your dopamine levels are deficient, you will be prone to addiction.
- Read the “Ingredients” section on the Nutrition Facts area of product labels to avoid foods that contain any refined SUGARS and CORN SYRUPS.
- Eat a diet that contains a lot of fresh, raw, organic fruits and vegetables. Shop around the outside of the grocery story and whenever possible, eat fresh produce.
- Avoid white rice and white bread which can also trigger a huge dopamine release and a corresponding dopamine deficiency.
- Avoid coffee and other high-caffeine drinks. Caffeine can cause a dopaminergic storm similar to what meth addicts experience. It can cause neurotransmitter imbalances in the brain. Instead, drink green tea and take Mucuna pruriens, a bean that can be cooked and then added to foods like chili soup or even nacho cheese. In Central America Mucuna is colloquially known as Nescafe because it increases wakefulness but without the jittery feelings caused by caffeine.
- If you’re vegan, switch back to a diet that contains animal products until you have control over your addiction.
- A vegan diet (and even some vegetarian diets that are particularly low in animal products) can predispose people to addictive behaviors because the amino acid profile of vegan and vegetarian diets can lead to dopamine deficiency. You need a certain amount of specific amino acids that may be too low for someone who is recovering from an addiction. Once you have control over your addiction, you can return to your vegan or vegetarian diet and take Mucuna pruriens and Super Balanced Neurotransmitter Complex to keep your neurotransmitters balanced.
- Take pancreatic enzymes to keep yourself healthy and to prevent cancer while eating animal products.
- Consume Dr. Budwig’s Quark smoothie once per day to boost your omega fatty acid levels in the brain. This quick recipe will make a huge difference in your brain health within 2 to 3 weeks if you drink at least 1 Quark Smoothie every day. The Budwig Protocol can help heal an number of diseases and disorders in the body by increasing the electrical conduction potential of cells throughout the body.
The Budwig Quark Smoothie is easy to make:
- 3 Tablespoons of cold-pressed, virgin organic flaxseed oil
- 6 Tablespoons of cow’s milk, goat’s milk, or high-fat coconut milk
Mix the above two things together in a blender until they’re completely consolidated. Then add 1-2 bananas or fruits to the mix to taste. Eat while sitting in the sun for best results.
Other Important Links:
Addiction Center (n.d.). What is Social Media Addiction? Retrieved December 9, 2020 from https://www.addictioncenter.com/drugs/social-media-addiction/
Healthline (2005-2020). What is Social Media Addiction? Retrieved December 9, 2020 from https://www.healthline.com/health/social-media-addiction#:~:text=There’s%20no%20such%20thing%20as,your%20physical%20and%20mental%20health.
MedPage Today (2018). Stop Saying Social Media Addiction. Retrieved December 9, 2020 from https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/addictions/75194
Murti, A. (2019). Using Social Media to Cope With Stress May Cause More Stress. Retrieved December 9, 2020 from https://theswaddle.com/social-media-stress-addiction/#:~:text=Using%20Social%20Media%20to%20Cope%20With%20Stress%20May%20Cause%20More%20Stress,-By%20Aditi%20Murti&text=This%20switching%20between%20activities%20happens,stress%2C%20as%20a%20coping%20mechanism.
Pies, R. (2009). Should DSM-V Designate “Internet Addiction” a Mental Disorder? Retrieved December 17, 2020 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2719452/
Wikipedia. (2020). Internet Addiction Disorder. Retrieved December 17, 2020 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction_disorder#Signs_and_symptoms