Mushroom-Based Diet and Supplementation Protocol for Cancer Patients
DISCLAIMER: CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR BEFORE DECIDING ON A TREATMENT PLAN FOR ANY DISEASE OR INJURY.
The Bill Henderson Protocol is one of the only anti-cancer diets that was not developed by a doctor, though Henderson did incorporate Dr. Budwig’s quark recipe (cottage cheese and flaxseed oil) into his protocol. The Henderson protocol is not recommended as a stand-alone treatment and it is not the best cancer diet for patients with aggressive or late-stage cancers. One of the virtues of the Bill Henderson Protocol is that it is relatively straightforward and easy for patients to understand and therefore to follow. For newly diagnosed patients who can’t afford to consult with a professional about their cancer diet, the Bill Henderson protocol can be helpful, though most experts would recommend incorporating other cancer treatments (e.g. pH therapies, vibrational therapies, immunotherapies) into it to make a more comprehensive protocol. Cancer patients who are getting conventional treatments (chemo, radiation, and/or surgery) and whose doctors don’t see the value of following a cancer diet could benefit from following this protocol as opposed to not following a cancer diet at all. Cancer patients can gather the supplies they need and implement the Bill Henderson protocol at home without consulting with a practitioner.
Bill Henderson is an entrepreneur who collects and disseminates information about alternative cancer cures. After his wife died from a grueling four-year battle with ovarian cancer, he went on a crusade for cancer information and a cure. He developed and began distributing the Bill Henderson protocol in 2004. This protocol is not appropriate for fast-spreading cancers, cancers that are particularly dangerous (e.g. pancreatic cancer) or cancers that have metastasized. The Bill Henderson protocol would be most valuable for patients whose cancers are at Stage III or lower .
Bill Henderson identified four physiological conditions that lead to the development of cancer:
- Weak immune system
- Lack of oxygen to the cells
- Excessive acidity in the body
- Toxicities in the body 
His treatment protocol features diet as the most important aspect of treatment along with the use of beta-glucan and nutritional supplements. This diet is meant to cultivate a healthy alkaline terrain that’s unfriendly to cancer cells .
The Bill Henderson protocol emphasizes diet which requires strict avoidance of the following:
- Animal protein (if you avoid animal products, you must take vitamin B12 supplements)
- Processed foods 
Patients are encouraged to eat raw vegetables. Nutritional supplements are also advised along with daily consumption of Budwig’s recipe of cottage cheese and flaxseed oil. Bill Henderson’s protocol, in fact, elaborates substantially on Budwig’s protocol .
Safety and Effectiveness
The Bill Henderson protocol is a gentle treatment that works quickly to increase the alkalinity in the body and electrically energize healthy cells while killing cancer cells . It achieves this goal by combining the theories of Dr. Johanna Budwig with other cancer diet principles and anti-cancer supplements .
Dr. Budwig was an expert on fats and oils and she’d spent a great deal of time studying cancer patients. Looking under a microscope, she’d noticed that patients with cancer had blood cells that lacked oxygen and looked sickly in comparison with the healthy red blood cells in non-cancer patients that were fully oxygenated. She realized that this lack of cellular oxygen was the result of consuming unhealthy, “dead” fats (trans fats, for example). To restore oxygen to the blood, cells need the proper amount of omega-3 fatty acids and patients need to avoid all hydrogenated and chemically processed fats and oils.
According to Dr. Budwig,
“Without these fatty acids [omega-3 fatty acids], the respiratory enzymes cannot function and the person suffocates, even when he is given oxygen-rich air. A deficiency in these highly unsaturated fatty acids impairs many vital functions” .
Healthy fats such as cold-pressed, organic flaxseed or extra virgin olive oil, contain a vital electron cloud that allows them to bind properly with oxygen and become water-soluble. The water-solubility of fats and lipids is essential to good health. Human cells need these healthy, water-soluble fats in order to produce energy. A fundamental principle of the Budwig Diet (and the Bill Henderson Protocol) is the avoidance of hydrogenated and chemically refined fats and fats or oils that have been heated. Fats or oils that have been heated or hydrogenated clog up human cells rather than electrifying and energizing them as healthy oils do. As such, the consumption of hydrogentated, heated, and chemically altered oils and fats can lead to cancer and other serious diseases such as arteriosclerosis .
Our Amazon links to powerful cures like Hawaii Pharm herbal tinctures often disappear mysteriously after we publish.
Support our outside vendors by purchasing Hawaii Pharm’s Beta-Glucan’s tincture here.
How the Bill Henderson Protocol Is Administered
An important component of the Bill Henderson Protocol is the Budwig Diet Mixture. Cancer patients should consume at least 8 tablespoons of flaxseed oil as part of this mixture each day. Ideally, the Budwig Diet Mixture should be consumed outside in the sun because sunlight helps to “activate” the mixture’s healing properties in the body (and sunlight also helps the patient produce natural vitamin D).
Bill Henderson Protocol Basics
In addition to consuming the Budwig Diet mixture above, cancer patients should follow a diet that meets the following requirements:
- Avoid all sugar including high fructose corn syrup, refined white sugar, honey, man-made sugar substitutes, brown sugar, evaporated cane juice sugar, etc.
- Avoid flour because it is converted into sugar/glucose in the body.
- Avoid all processed and/or packaged foods and fast foods.
- Avoid all animal products.
- Avoid all dairy products. The quark mixture is an exception to this rule. Cottage cheese mixed with the flax oil for the Budwig Diet Mixture should be consumed up to 8 times per day. The cottage cheese helps make the flaxseed oil easier for the body to absorb.
- Consume lots of organic fruits and vegetables.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables whenever possible.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- See a biological dentist to have have root canals and cavitations examined. Have mercury amalgam fillings removed and replaced with a biologically-friendly composite material by going to a biological dentist.
- Exercise daily to keep the lymphatic system moving.
- Get 30 minutes of daily sunlight so that your body can manufacture vitamin D. If you don’t live in a climate where daily sunlight is possible, take vitamin D3 supplements with vitamin K2 and get your vitamin D levels checked .
Budwig Diet Mixture: Quark
Henderson saw the legitimacy of Budwig’s research and her success treating cancer patients so he incorporated one of the main features of the diet, her “quark recipe” into his protocol:
Budwig’s Quark Recipe:
1 Tbsp. cold pressed flaxseed oil
2 Tbsp. organic cottage cheese, quark, full fat coconut milk, soy milk, or rice milk
Combine the above ingredients in a glass bowl using an immersion blender. Blend for 1 minute until it has the consistency of whipped cream.
In a separate glass bowl:
Grind 2 Tbsp. golden or brown flaxseeds in a coffee grinder for 1 minute until they appear “fluffy”. Add the cottage cheese mixture to the ground flaxseeds and stir .
In addition to the Budwig Mixture and the dietary changes listed above, patients are also advised to take a variety of supplements:
- Beta-1 3-d Glucan – Take one 500 mg capsule for every 50 pounds of body weight. Take these all at once in the morning on an empty stomach. Beta glucans help the body coordinate an appropriate immune response to cancer .
- Take the following supplements with Green Tea Extract:
- Vitamin C – Take 2 tablets, 3 times daily with or without food.
- L-Lysine – Take 2 tablets, 3 times daily with or without food.
- L-Proline – Take 2 tablets, 3 times daily with or without food.
- Take 1 tablet of the Green Tea Extract 3 times per day, with or without food.
- Barley Grass – Take 20 tablets per day, 15 minutes before mealtimes. Take 7 before breakfast, 7 before lunch, and 6 before dinner.
- Vitamin D3, 5000 IU + Vitamin K2 (MK-7)– Take one softgel or more depending on your levels of vitamin D (remember to always take a supplement that combines vitamin D with vitamin K2! Do not take vitamin D alone without also taking vitamin K2).
- Daily Advantage Nutritionals – Take 2 packets per day.
Possible Negative Effects
According to some experts, this protocol as a stand-alone treatment is not appropriate for patients with Stage IV cancers, cancers that have a tendency to spread quickly, or cancers that are particularly dangerous . Patients with more serious cancers should follow a protocol that includes a variety of treatments, not just dietary changes. It is vital that cancer patients target the disease from several different angles.
Current research has shown that the use of beta-glucans can trigger the proliferation of monocytic lineage leukemia cells and the maturation of dendritic cells derived from leukemia cells. More research is needed, but beta-glucans are currently not recommended for leukemia patients .
Other Important Information
Bill Henderson’s Books
 Page, S., Mannion, C., Heilman-Bell, L., Verhoef, M. (2011). The Bill Henderson Protocol: Consumer Perspectives and Practices on an Alternative Dietary Intervention for Cancer Treatment and Cure. Retrieved May 24, 2018 from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2156587211415278
 Kehr, W. (2018). Bill Henderson Protocol. Retrieved May 24, 2018 from https://www.cancertutor.com/henderson/
 Cancer Compass (2018). Bill Henderson’s Version of the Budwig Protocol. Retrieved May 24, 2018 from https://cancercompassalternateroute.com/therapies/bill-henderson-budwig-protocol/
 Cancer Tutor (2018). Budwig Diet Protocol. Retrieved May 2, 2018 from https://www.cancertutor.com/budwig/
 Budwig, J. (2010). The Budwig Cancer and Coronary Heart Disease Prevention Diet: The Complete Recipes. Updated Research & Protocols for Health and Healing. Freedom Press.
 Erasmus, U. (1993). Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill: The Complete Guide to Fats, Oils, Cholesterol, and Human Health. Alive Books.
 Jockers, D. (2018). How the Budwig Diet Protocol for Cancer Works. Retrieved May 4, 2018 from https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/budwig-diet-protocol-cancer/
 Jockers, D. (2018). How Beta Glucans Boost Immunity & Fight Cancer. Retrieved May 25, 2018 from https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/beta-glucans-immunity-fight-cancer/
 Chan, W. K. D., Cheung, C. C., Law, H. K. D., Lau, Y. L. D., Chan, G. C. D. (2008). Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides can induce human monocytic leukemia cells into dendritic cells with immuno-stimulatory function. Retreived May 25, 2018 from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18644156